READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

THOUGHTS FOR 2007

It's the season of New Year messages. Thanks so much for keeping us in mind and sharing some wonderful thoughts. Some of these that came my way in various emails are worth treasuring....

Meira Chand shared Maya Angelou's gentle and humorous philosophy in her note:
"I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance."
"I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as "making a life."
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."


M.J. Akbar's 'Yearend Jottings' was replete with gems like these:
"The Titanic and Olympic were identical sister ships, both higher than the Great Pyramid of Giza. The former began life in 1911, hit an iceberg and became immortal. The Olympic went to sea a year earlier, in 1910, and sailed peacefully till 1937. No one remembers a success story."
"Human nature changes when the Sind border meets Punjab, on a line east of Kandahar."


And if you are struggling with your writing, take heart in Sir Vidia's words (this one is from Outlook):
"My talent took about five years rather than three years to develop. It did come, to my great relief, and until it came, I was very very wretched. It was the pain below everything I did."
"I have often wished that I could have three lives: one to read, one to write, and one to experience."
- Don't we all?