READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

RUNNING AWAY WITH IT

Penguin's Loi Zhi Wei is back from her first visit to India. While she's shying away from narrating her saree experience, she's filling me in with the literary news. For that, as always, I'm grateful.

So here it is.

Khaled Hosseini's 'The Kite Runner' has been voted Reading Group Book of the Year for the second year running!

The Penguin Orange Broadband Reader's Group Prize 2007 is voted for by reading groups across Britain and 'The Kite Runner' makes it to the record books by winning the award two years in a row.

More power to the readers who are making the call - that's the way it should be.

What's even better, is Hosseini's wonderful response:
"It is a tremendous honor to me that The Kite Runner has again been awarded the Penguin Orange Broadband Readers' Group Prize. I am so very proud and moved that four years after its publication, The Kite Runner continues to resonate with reading groups. So many distinguished novels are written every year, so many books to celebrate, which makes this prize that much more meaningful to me. I want express my appreciation to reading groups for embracing this novel and for being so instrumental in generating the word of mouth that has been this book's lifeblood. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Tashakor!"

Arzu Tahsin, the book's editor spells out more reasons why the book continues to travel:
"Fantastic story-telling is alive and well and the Penguin Orange Broadband Readers' Group Prize prize proves the amazing power of word-of-mouth. The Kite Runner is one of those books you would whole-heartedly recommend and give to friends and the enduring memory of the story means that you will keep on recommending it."

No surprise that in addition to its phenomenal success, the book continues to sell over 4,000 copies a week.

This year it beat 'We Need to Talk About Kevin', 'Saturday', 'Small Island', 'Suite Francaise' and 'The Time Traveller's Wife'.

Will it get third time lucky? I wouldn't be surprised.

Labels: ,