READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

BRIEFLY SPEAKING

Yes, your appetite was whetted, as was mine.

You wanted to know what 'Charmed' was all about. No, it wasn't a book launch. Seriously, you weren't wishing that, were you?

It was an invite for the Singapore Women's Weekly 2007 Lingerie Awards. My first. Sure, I was curious about the hot bodies, the garments or lack thereof, the ensuing comments. There was all of that and a whole lot more.

No, pictures aren't going to do the talking. I'm not going to behave like Amitabh Bachchan's camera phone happy neighbour. Head to the news stands or reach the publishers if you'd like to see it all.

Tara Barker, the energetic Editor-in-Chief of the magazine kicked things off, with her speech:
"Since this is about lingerie, I'll be brief."

Brief, she sure was, paving the way for a musical extravaganza complete with lingerie to set the mood for the night. Full marks to the models who carried it off with elan. It takes guts to strut that stuff. More than the skimpy outfits, it takes a lot to keep a straight face as the audience gets carried away.

I almost tripped on my heels and spilt my wine, when an eager hand went up and a female voice boomed to the male model in his boxer glory:
"What would he do if I touched him?"

Hoping to make a gracious exit, without our arms being mistaken for some other, ended up in front of a couple in the middle of a spat.

Angry female to male pal: "What's with you? Are you ...?"

Didn't they say briefs make for good tales?