READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

LOOK OUT FOR....

Immense anticipation in the days ahead.....
Several exciting books by some of my favourite authors are about to hit your shelves.

Starting with none other than Booker Prize winner Michael Ondaatje's, first novel in six years - Divisadero.

Jhumpa Lahiri dubs it Ondaatje's "finest novel to date" though Publishers Weekly has mixed feelings about it - "Ondaatje's first fiction in six years lacks the gut punch of Anil's Ghost and the harrowing meditation on brutality that marked The English Patient, but delivers his trademark seductive prose, quixotic characters and psychological intricacy."

My fellow blogger and friend Sharon Bakar picks an interesting fragment of a story as does Zafar. It's enough to set me book hunting.


David Davidar has given several deserving writers their first break. He turned around Penguin India, then went on to make a superb debut with The House of Blue Mangoes. Now, get ready to flip the pages of The Solitude of Emperors. Shobhaa De gave it a resounding stamp of approval, Farokh of Pansing told me the proofs have arrived, all I've got to do now is to go a-flipping.


If you liked The Kite Runner, your wait is over. Khaled Hosseini is back with A Thousand Splendid Suns no less. Publishers Weekly has dished out its coveted starred review saying "his tale is a powerful, harrowing depiction of Afghanistan, but also a lyrical evocation of the lives and enduring hopes of its resilient characters." Two women and two cities dominate the narrative which has been earning just the kind of praise, I think it deserves.


He's got the presence of an actor, complete with the voice. Those of you who have heard Kunal Basu speak, you know what I mean. He also has an unpublished story, which will be out soon. I'm not talking about the book alone. Basu's The Japanese Wife had film maker Aparna Sen excited. A school teacher in Sunderbans in love with his Japanese pen pal. Can their relationship survive? The film, which has been shot in three places, including Japan and the soon to be released book promise to tell all.


The film stars Rahul Bose, who is planning to go on a directorial venture of his own. And guess what he's picked? Mohsin Hamid's Moth Smoke. So get ready for more novels to sizzle on the big screen.

Labels: , , , ,