READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

FILED AWAY

- Publisher Knopf rejected the likes of Jorge Luis Borges ("utterly untranslatable"), Anaïs Nin ("There is no commercial advantage in acquiring her, and, in my opinion, no artistic"), Sylvia Plath ("There certainly isn't enough genuine talent for us to take notice") and Jack Kerouac ("His frenetic and scrambling prose perfectly express the feverish travels of the Beat Generation. But is that enough?"). Others who made it to the list, Jean-Paul Sartre and Vladimir Nabokov's 'Lolita' ("too racy").

- Anne Frank's 'The Diary of a Young Girl,'was rejected by Knopf and 15 others before Doubleday published it in 1952. More than 30 million copies are currently in print, making it one of the best-selling books of our time.

If your manuscript has been rejected before, take heart, read this.

Labels: ,