READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Friday, December 21, 2007

LIFE IS INTELLIGENT

When it comes packaged by The Economist. I'm learning so much everyday. Like:
"News gives The Economist most of its pictures, but every so often we need to set up a photo shoot.....For a cover on insider trading, our present Europe editor drew on his experience as a Treasury man and dressed as a convict.

Even so, this issue of Intelligent Life is making a little piece of history, with the launch of Flair, our section on shopping and fashion, and - as far as I can tell - the first fashion shoot in The Economist's 164 years. Don't worry. This time we didn't pick our models from among Economist journalists."


With his opening line, the Ed, Edward Carr had me hooked. Every little blurb, headline, even the art of making tea - em, green tea, is brilliant.

In Lazy Language, Lazy Thought, John Grimond says:
"......Once it took a face to launch a thousand ships; now a slam dunk is enough to send America to war. "Our business is to see what we can do with the English language," wrote Virgina Woolf. "How can we combine the old words in new orders so that they survive, so that they create beauty, so that they tell the truth."

Speaking of words, Page 63 can help you start with the perfect bit of paper to pen your thoughts.

If paper isn't your kind of thing, head straight to page 67 and read all about Philip Pullman who thought his epic tale of two 12-year-olds would appeal to a few clever kids. It went on to sell 15 million copies and 'The Golden Compass' is a film starring Nicole Kidman. Opinion on the film is divided in our house, Pullman's story though has its requisite share of fans.

"It all began in the last 15 minutes of a wet Friday afternoon in a classroom in Oxford. Or that's how you would want to tell it.... He is the most successful writer since Roald Dahl to have worked in a shed. "My real life began," he says, "when I came home from the job and sat at my table and wrote three pages for the day."

Pullman spent seven years in a shed at the bottom of his Oxford garden, doing his three pages a day (no more, no less). About one in ten pages made the cut. The mathematics alone is impressive.


Can't get your copy, then head to moreintelligentlife.com

Labels: , , ,