READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Friday, January 06, 2006

PICTURES DON'T ALWAYS SPEAK

I like my cutlery set in a particular way. I like sitting in a particular seat. I don't change my water glass till it gets smashed and when it comes to food, I just don't like experimenting. So if I've discovered a rosti and a kiwi cooler, I can keep going back to the same restaurant and eat the same meal, as if it were my last. Essentially I'm pretty much a daal chawal paratha dahi types. Most days are spent eating at home and on the rare occasions that I venture out, I stick to my closely guarded favourites.

On the rare occasions that I do get brave and start to experiment, my husband's food invariably turns out better tasting and better looking than mine. And of course, it raises more than a couple of eyebrows.

There is this coffee shop I love to frequent for their perfectly brewed cappucino and each time I stick to my cuppa and complement it with a perfect quiche. Though on one rare occasion, not too long ago, I got carried away with this delectable looking dish of baked potatoes. As the stuff was being overn baked, I had these visions of an amazing dish heading my way. So imagine my disappointment when a rather sad looking dish of almost shrivelled looking potatoes shows up with not even half the cheese covering the top. Angry with myself for having strayed from the regular path of non-experimenting, and spending $6 (not a fortune alright!) on something I could have certainly lived without, I hit the oven with a vengeance not known before, to come up with my own version of:

BAKED POTATOES - A LA INDIAN.
All you need to get started
5 Large Potatoes
1 Onion (Chopped Fine)
2 Tomatoes (Chopped Fine)
1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
1/2 Teaspoon Curry Powder
Salt according to Taste
Cheddar Cheese (as Cheesy as you would like it to be)

Getting Started:
1) Boil the potatoes, peel them and then cut them into slices. Keep half a potato aside.
2) Butter a baking dish and lay the sliced potatoes. Top it with some cheddar cheese.
3) Mix the chopped onions, the tomatoes, mash half of the remaining potato and throw in all the spices, if you'd like a more spiced up version add some chopped chillies too.
4) Top it all with a generous dollop of cheddar.
5) And then let the oven do the magic. Pre-heat it for 10 minutes. Set the oven on medium heat and let it bake for 20 minutes.
6) Once its done, let the simmering cheese settle down a bit sprinkle it with some oregano or if you are into freshly done stuff, then some fresh corainder would do the trick....
Lo and behold, dinner is served!
Bon Appetit!