READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Friday, March 31, 2006

DANCING TO A NEW BEAT


It has been an amazing few weeks. So many fabulous folks appearing on the show. Enjoyed meeting all of them.

The most memorable though were Indian dancers Alarmel Valli and Madhavi Mudgal. My pal Soundarya generously gave me a ticket and their show was definitely worth staying awake, only to show up for work the next morning. It was energy in motion. You have to see it to believe it.

I mean in real life both Valli and Mudgal are so grounded, so petite that you wonder how they are going to rock the Esplanade stage.

The show takes off, mercifully without the kind of prelude that had marked that dismal performance by Bollywood actress Hema Malini.

Here you have two seasoned performers, enormously serious about their craft and about keeping it alive. The audience is appreciative as it rightly should be. And I find myself glued to my seat, wishing the show never was over.

No surprise that they have made dream sequences out of traditional Indian dance and mesmerised audiences worldwide. Through Odissi will meet Baharatnatyam in a way never seen before in 24 cities in France. Don't miss it for the world if you happen to be there....