READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

RACE AND ROOF

What's race got to do with a roof over my head?

A lot if my last two phone calls to two real estate agents are an indicator.

As if my accent, wasn't a dead giveaway, here's how it all began and ended:

Me: I am calling about renting this apartment you advertised for...
Agent: (before I can even finish) Your race?
Me: Indian
Agent: Cannot
Me: Why?
Agent: I said CANNOT (line goes dead)


I am seething.

Despite all the anger, I can't help but be drawn back to the steely Lakshmi Mittal story. Undeterred by all that came through the Arcelor way, it was amazing to see the tycoon smile his way through his successful take-over bid that along the way took on the collective might of the Europeans. And that determination teaches us so many things, it holds lessons in determination, it teaches us to question, persist, never give up - particularly in the face of criticism. Those are lessons for us all, even for those of us who don't even have a mega-fraction of Mittal's wealth.

Getting back to the tactless agents, who intend to put me through that de-meaning crap again, I promise to make 10 phone calls demanding explanations and my time starts now....