READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

CLUBBING READING

Are book groups ruining reading, questions this article in The Herald.

Karin Goodwin adeptly covers the different facets of the story.

And I'll add my two cents worth to it.

My aunt hadn't stepped into a book store for years. An avid Oprah fan, she shed the tears, that millions like her did when Elie Weisel appeared on the show. She made the trek from our family home to the Sector 17 market. Trust me, it's a big deal as she takes care of my bed ridden grandmother. And books have been the last thing on her mind.

The first time she was told the book wasn't there. She left her name and number and didn't hear from the book seller for almost a month. She went back a month later and still no sign of the book, so she picked up another book. She got lucky the third time round and was back home with three books in hand.

Oprah may have got her to the book store, but she made her choices.

Which is why I'm tempted to agree with this comment posted by Benita Auge, New Windsor of New York:
"What I see most beneficial in book clubs is that it promotes reading. It's getting people to buy books and discuss ideas."

Wouldn't you celebrate that?

Labels: , , ,