READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

HIT IT LIKE YUVI

Moments like these come once in a lifetime.

Ask any batsman timing his shot against a fast bowler. One shot hits the boundary, followed by yet another. Can there be a third? A fourth? A fifth? A sixth?

You see the first two, then start praying for the third. It's edge of the seat stuff. It's what fans wait for. It's what gives a team more than just hope. It's what a nation prays for.

This morning we saw all of that thanks to the spectacular knock by Yuvraj Singh.

First there seemed to be a bit of an altercation, the next thing you knew Yuvraj was on fire.

He smashed a record six sixes in an over against England in their Twenty20 World Cup match at Kingsmead, Durban. Fast bowler Stuart Broad took the brunt. 36 runs it was in the 19th over, making Yuvraj the first player to achieve the mark in the shortest form of cricket.

Broad saw his deliveries disappear over the mid-wicket boundary twice, over backward square leg, extra cover, backward point and wide mid-on. No place was safe as the fireworks continued both on and off the field.

He boosted India's total to total 218 for four in 20 overs, England went on to lose the match by 18 runs.

At the elite level Yuvraj became the fourth man to complete the feat.

Ravi Shastri and West Indian Garfield Sobers had achieved the record in first class cricket, while South African Herschelle Gibbs reached the landmark at the 50-over World Cup earlier this year.

And one could not have asked for a more appropriate commentator than Shastri on this day. "Ballay, Ballay," yes Shastri set things on fire too.

Expectedly, all rights have been violated and the sixy knock has made it to You Tube. I'll do the right thing and tell you to go watch it there.

But don't go anywhere before reading what the man of the match had to say:
"Actually, you know, I got hit for five sixes by Dimitri (Mascarenhas) in the sixth ODI (One Day International against England) and the amount of 'phone calls I had after that, if I get a hundred, I don't get so many 'phone calls. So, after that I thought, 'God, this isn't fair. You've got to give me a chance.' So I guess I got the chance."

What's not to love about such chances? Here's hoping for several more, Yuvi.

Labels: ,