READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

CROSSINGS

Will feature over authors from 13 countries with a distinct focus on emerging Asian writing. There's Tan Twan Eng, Madeleine Thein, Tash Aw, Su Tong showcasing writing from East Asia and China.

Writers from South Asia include David Davidar, Kunal Basu, Elmo Jayawardena, Madhur Jaffrey.

'Wild Swan' lovers, don't miss out on the chance to hear Jung Chang.

Other festival highlights include an exhibition to mark the 150th anniversary of the birth of Polish writer Joseph Conrad', a tribute to poet Arthur Yap and a theatrical performance based on the poetry of Madeleine Lee and Eleanor Wong.

Comic book enthusiasts can get their superhero or wonder woman fixes through Gail Simone and Kurt Busiek. There are professional symposiums on various aspects of publishing as well.

A bit of everything at the upcoming Singapore Writers Festival. Lots I want to see and hear, though given the length of the festival (1st-9th December), I'm not sure how much I'll be able to squeeze in.

I'm not a lit fest veteran, though after three years on the circuit, I get the sense that 3-4 days is the right duration for a festival. It's a good idea to book end the festival proper with workshops because by day 4, you get a palpable sense of audience fatigue. Panels, discussions, conversations, even great ones see numbers dip. I just hope that given the effort, the line-up and the engaging discussions that await, this is something that doesn't happen at the Singapore Writers Festival. Your presence can definitely alter the scheme of things.

Labels: