READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

SAY CHEERS TO....

Cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom - the ingredients to stir up a delightful curry, Shetty style. Think Goan Vindaloo or Sri Lanka's famous Elolu (Vegetable) Curry or Singapore's famous fish head curry and pepper crabs. As the heady aromas of the food hit you senses, which drink would you think of?

I popped the question in studio and the answer was unanimous:
"Give that man a Tiger."

Aha, the taste buds they are a-changing.

"What about wine?" I asked.
"Wine?"
"Yes, wine to give all this spicy stuff."
"Which one."


Not pretending to sound like anything I'm not, I pull out a book that promises to take you to "new frontiers in taste."

Wine with Asian Food by Patricia Guy and Edwin Soon takes you to China, India, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Sri Lanka to pair wine with your food.

Its a selective process, the interaction of wine and its interaction with Asian flavours and cooking is extensively explored to present the best pairings. There are five flavour profiles while the wines are organised into seven style categories based on flavour, texture and body.

If you've ever wondered if wine does go with Asian food, the answers are all in here.

Flipping through the pages is stirring my appetite. Is it time for lunch already?

For the record, Indian chicken korma takes Australian Shiraz. Vindaloo a well made Recioto di Soave and Shabu Shabu is best savoured with Italian sweet wines.

BOOK DETAILS:
Wine with Asian Food - New Frontiers in Taste
Pages : 165
Price : $42
Publisher : Landmark Books
Year : 2007

Labels: , ,