READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

MUMBAI BLASTS

There are days when your body and mind are simply stunned into disbelief. Today happens to be one of those days.

My phone was beeping most of last night, I thought I had set the wrong alarm. In fact, at some point I thought I was dreaming these sounds. 2am in the morning, I realised the calls and SMS's were all very real.

Mumbai had been rocked. This time by a series of sinister and well-coordinated bomb attacks aimed at crippling the rail network - the one thing that connects close to 6 million Mumbaikars each day.

The damage had been done, the death toll rose through the morning, the pictures were grim, but the people were staying calm. That for me speaks volumes about the true spirit of Mumbai. It's ability to cope with disasters - natural or man made tells you all about the inner vibrance of this bustling city. And that's the spirit no blast in the world can wipe out.