READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Monday, July 17, 2006

WHEN DAN MEETS LARRY


You get an interview to remember.

I was drawn to this splendid interview almost by accident courtesy Bala.

Two of television's greats sharing the stage, always makes for great viewing and this one didn't disappoint.

For the large part, because Dan Rather, the ex-CBS face told the story as is. The style was relaxed, the stands clear. Rather talked about everything including the controversial 60 Minutes broadcast about President Bush's National Guard record.

LARRY KING: "You're saying that was a fair report, I mean that was--you believe that report to this day?"
RATHER: "Do I believe the truth of the story? Absolutely."

For someone, who in my view, has lived with guts and glory seeing him stick by his side of the story was quite something.

There was a quiet determination in Rather's manner, but no anger over what happened. He treated what could have been annoying questions with the ultimate respect.

What stood out clearly though was his love for the news. He dismissed calls for retirement and put himself in the category of a 'working day reporter'.
Now, this is what I call true class:

CALLER: Hi, Mr. Rather. What advice would you give to a young aspiring journalist who looks to you as an American icon?
RATHER: Well first of all, I really appreciate that. But I'm not an icon, I'm a reporter who got lucky. And I really mean that. And I think it's important to understand that. Icon status should be for people who find a cure for cancer or Alzheimer's Disease, not for working day reporters. Now for your question about advice, one, read, continue to read. Commit yourself to a lifetime of reading. The other is learn to write and keep on learning to write. Because writing is the bedrock, the fundamental necessity of the craft. I think a lot of people who want to get into journalism, particularly television, don't understand that. So, those are two things. The other I would say, is that old Winston Churchill line of never, ever, ever give up.

If that's got you drawn to the chat, read the full transcript here:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0506/02/lkl.02.html