READ@PEACE

Books, Lit Fests, News, Movies, Art, Fashion and TV of course... "I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a book." - GROUCHO MARX

My Photo
Name:

I'd write more, like you said I should. If only, there was more to me.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!


So said White Spokesman Tony Snow to The First Lady of the Press, the legendary Helen Thomas. The point in question was about the US vetoing a UN Security Council resolution demanding Israel halt its attacks in Gaza.

As we all knew, by the time the media conference went live, ten nations on the council voted in favor of the resolution, and four abstained. As one of the five permanent members on the Security Council, the United States has veto power over resolutions.

John Bolton, the US ambassador to the UN had already gone on record saying "in light of the fluid events on the ground," the United States believed the Qatar-sponsored resolution was untimely and out of date, and would have helped inflame passions in the Middle East.

What happened at this briefing was truly revealing, and clearly showed Snow has been away from it all way too long.

Thanks to Crooks and Liars for the full view:
http://www.crooksandliars.com/posts/2006/07/18/tony-snow-and-helen-thomas-thank-you-for-the-hezbollah-view/